tar

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, dan moylan wrote:

> as user, i mounted a cdrom and tared a directry from it.
> after untarring the directory onto the hard drive, i saw
> that all symbolic links were gone, replaced by zero sized
> files with zero permissions.  the untarring also produces
> "permission denied" error messages.
>
> as root, the process works as expected.
>
> is there some tar option i can invoke which will allow me
> as user to tar/untar the files and maintain the symbolic
> links?  i did peruse the man pages but didn't find
> (recognize) the crucial option.
>
> tia,
> dan moylan

How about
       -h, --dereference
              don't dump symlinks; dump the files they point to

---
DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  So if you want to build a Nerf world with no sharp edges,
DK KD  do it in Peoria.  I'm gonna go play with knives and
DDDD   flirt with redheads.                           Bob MacDowell

-