what are good digital cameras now?

I would recommend a 2.1 M pixel at the minimum.  Actually, don't take my
word on it, check out http://www.dpreview.com/ which is probably one of the
best sites around to review this sort of thing.  Real sample photo's plus
very detailed information.  For example, a quick check showed that the
Olympus D340R has a F2.8 - F5.6 - F11 aperature range.

Even get hints on how to read your compact flash card on linux:
     mount -F vfat -o rw /dev/hde1 /mnt/cf
among other things.  (I had to add something linux in this email!)

I'm not associated with the site, I was just very pleased to be recommended
to it by a friend recently as well -- theres much more data than fluff, a
great S/N ratio!

-Michael
http://www.mtnhike.com