[BLU.] linux on old hardware?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Ken Gosier wrote:

> Question: Is there some faq out there, saying, if you have
> old hardware, and want to get linux going on it, here's how
> to do it? I have rh6.0 and 7.1 shrink-wrapped, but I'm
> guessing they might not agree so well with old machines.
>
> The reason I ask: I wandered around the MIT flea today, and
> there were a ton of old P90's, P133's, etc., for around
> $20-$50. I though it might be fun to get one or two or
> five, and set them up with seti at home clients. What can I
> say, I thought the recent /. post on the Stone
> SouperComputer was kind of cool. :)

Linux kernels and distributions tend NOT to drop support for older
hardware like Microsoft does, so compatability will most likely not be an
issue.  Storage and RAM might.

Here are some relevant hits I found from a google.com search:

http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ichi/
http://lhd.datapower.com/
http://evil.inetarena.com/linux-old/hardware.html
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp
http://www.best.com/~cae/irqtune/
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html

> As an aside: Did you see the guy selling piles of blank
> floppies, N for $1, and they were all re-formatted AOL
> disks? :)

If he really spent the time to reformat them, I don't see hwo it's worth
his while (unless he was doing other stuff at the time.