mouse

XFree86 4.x does recognize the wheel both as a third button and
as a wheel.  Mozilla will move around based on the wheel, and many
GNOME apps (probably KDE as well) will scroll around from the
wheel as well.

If you're using 3.x, go look at imwheel, which will allow you to map
the wheel to arbitrary xevents.

-Mark

Rob Ransbottom wrote:

> A wheel can be clicked.  So should I be getting a three button
> mouse, or using the wheel as the third button?  Is a wheel
> just an ornament in X?
>
> I am used to three buttons on the glidepoint and usually
> Logitech mouseman mice.
>
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>

>>I'm very partial to the Logitech marble track balls. They are very
>>comfortable, and mine is several years old. I clean it every once in a
>>

> Having looked at pointers at my local Staples, I'm leaning toward
> a Logitech marble trackman trackball.  The line Jerry is referring to.
> They are designed to fit a right hand with the ball falling under the thumb.
>
> There are currently three versions mass marketed:
> Two button + wheel.
> Two button + wheel cordless.
> Three button + wheel.
>
> The cordless has some appeal if one can use it inverted cupped in the hand.
> But I don't like the idea of batteries failing in the midst of some effort.
>

> -

Mark Komarinski - Senior Systems Engineer - VA Linux Systems
(cell)  978-697-2228
(email) mkomarinski at valinux.com
"Have one day pleasant" - Babelfish

-