Laptops

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 07:47:04AM -0700, Abhi wrote:
> Which would be better for a linux installation, a sony
> "VAIO SR27" or a "VAIO R505TS"?
>
> The SR27 is a p3 750, 30 gb, 128 mb, 16x cdrom and nn
> floppy. ( this one is cheaper)
>
> The R505TS is a p3 850, 20gb, 128mb, and no cd rom or
> floppy.

How heavy are the two?  What do you plan to do with it?

I recently bought a Z505LE.  I has an external floppy I think I
used exactly once, it has no CD-ROM (though I could buy one).

But it is also quite light and small--it is on my lap as
I type this.  To and from work I put it in a plastic bubble
pack envelope, put that in a random non-computer bag I have,
hang the whole thing from my scooter handle bars, and kick off
for the bus.

At about the same time I bought my little notebook a co-worker
bought a big heavy Dell "laptop".  He usually gets to work
after me and I see him lugging a *heavy* bag.  He will often
stop and talk as he goes by, and as he stands there I can
see the bag getting heavier and heavier, digging into his
shoulder.  And some days he leaves his personal laptop
at work--I suppose he isn't sure he will be using it at
home and it is too heavy to carry for nothing.

When I need a CD I stick the CD in a machine at home or work
that does have a CD drive, and access it over ethernet.

I have "only" a 12 GB drive, but without any Microsoft
products or video, it is quite big.

If your notebook is mostly going to sit still, then
extra features might make the weight worthwhile, but
the more you might want to carry it, the more valuable
being little will be.

-kb, the Kent who would like a lead on an affordable
BPZ52 triple capacity battery.
-