setting up nfs

I would have thought that it would even be longer. Assuming your host
provider's LAN was 100Mbps, and T1 is 1.5Mbps.
But, not only are you bottolenecking the diskio, you are throwing
significant additional traffic onto the slower line which affects other users
of that line.

When properly configured and managed, NFS (or more generically a
network file system) can be very efficient. Your file server itself should
have relatively fast drives and relatively low use for other purposes. Users
should be spread around different subnets, but the server should have
multiple NICs such that network disk I/O does not cross routers.

On 26 Jul 2001, at 11:26, Scott Lanning wrote:

> At work, our host provider temporarily switched a development machine
> to use NFS over a T1, and as a result MySQL queries would take 10
> times longer than usual (or longer). And when trying to list
> directories, it would occasionally give NFS errors indicating
> that NFS wasn't responding.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group