config IP address - need help

Once you've changed your network settings, you can run

    sudo /etc/init.d/network restart

to make them take effect. One caveat: DHCP tends to change the machine's
hostname, and X's permissions are based on the hostname, so if you change
it within X, you may find you no longer have permission to create or
destroy
windows. You'll then have to kill X with a ctrl-alt-backspace and re-login.

When I need to do something similar, I always logout of X first, and reset
the network from a text console.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org

-