From: owner-discuss at blu.org [mailto:owner-discuss at blu.org] On Behalf Of
Jerry Feldman
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 15:01
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: Connectivity woes in Boston

Same here. I run sshd, httpd (currently serving a SuSE default page
since I blew away my original source), and a mail server.
What they are really concerned about is those servers that can be used
by others, such as and IRC server.
On 3 Aug 2001, at 14:20, Duane Morin wrote:

> [...]

> it's just that you're going to direct it straight to your box instead
> of through theirs, I bet they never even notice.  I suspect there's
> lots and
> lots of AT&T customers who are banking on that.
>
> After all, what constitutes a "server" if you really want to get
> technical?  I want to connect to my home machine from work, so I run
> an ssh daemon.  Am I now an ssh server?  I'm the only client, so it's
> not like I've got a dozen people sharing the line or something.  If
> I'm running Apache primarily because httpd starts up by default, am I
> a web server that should get taken down by them?
>
>  Duane
>
>  On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, John J
> Boland wrote:
>
> > oh, woe is me!
> >
> > tiac.net/inter.net is changing over to new access numbers and i no
> longer get
> > my static address, which was part of my premium service, i get a
> dynamic
> > address now.  i haven't been all that happy with the service over
> > the
> last
> > several months (slowww downloads, several retries to connect).
> >
> > so, i've been looking at high-speed internet access options in the
> city
> > of Boston: DSL and cable modems.
> > Unfortunately, i'm 500 feet too far from my CO for DSL. Cablevision
> > of Boston had struck up a deal with @home for cable-based internet
> > service.  Since at&t took over, they haven't changed the deal
> with
> > @home and that appears to be the only service i can get. the aup
> > from
> @home
> > is very restrictive, no servers of any kind.  the one guy i managed
> find in
> > customer service, who knew anything about anything, gave me the
> impression
> > that they monitored connections/usage and would terminate the
> > account
> of
> > any suspected servers and that @home was geared more towards basic
> > web
> surfing
> > and their email service. so, i wouldn't be able to set up my own
> > mail
> or web
> > server.
> >
> > so, i guess i've got two questions:
> > 1) are there any other high-speed options available in the city of
> Boston?
> > 2) should i just ignore the aup and setup my own servers?
> >
> > tia...
> > -
> > Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with
> > "subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" on the first line of the
> > message body to discuss-request at blu.org (Subject line is ignored).
> >

> -
> "subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" on the first line of the message

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org