connectivity issues

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 06:36:28AM -0400, Michael Bilow wrote:
> Speaking as someone who configures routers for ISPs and has participated
> in policy drafting on such matters...

Ooow!  Maybe you could help me with something.

I use Galaxy DSL for my home connection.  The NATing router in my
basement is under their control, but I finally managed to get them to
open up the firewall so I can play with various protocols.  The
problem, however, is that there are still blocked ports.  The tech
support folks don't know where the blocking might be coming from, and
the pattern is more complicated than my model router is capable of
implementing.

So something upstream of my router is blocking things.  Any suggestion
on how I might navigate my ISP to get the ports opened?

The DSL circuit is from NAS, they are the ones who actually munge with
the router, so they are possibly the ones who are doing the other
blocking.

The way I got as far as I have was to read the router manual, point
the Galaxy DSL folks to the precise page number for what I wanted
done, and have them point the NAS people the the exact page number in
the manual...I think I even faxed the pages to Galaxy DSL and they
faxed the pages to NAS.  If I am going to get my ports opened, I think
I am going to have to be as explicit this time.  Ideas on how to do
this?

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who types this mail on an ssh session to port 19 because
his port 22 is blocked.
-