Wireless ethernet?

On 13 Aug 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Don't use WEP.. It's broken, completely.  If I can _hear_ your
> base station I can break your keys in a matter of minutes (well,
> after I 'hear' a few million packets, but that only takes an hour
> or so on a busy LAN).
>
> WEP is broken.  You might as well keep it off and just use IPsec
> and ssh.

I'm more-than-new to this (I have ordered, but not received, my wireless
gear), but isn't the purpose of WEP to authenticate the client, not
encrypt the connection?  I can't vouch for how crackable WEP is, but using
ssh over wireless does not help authenticate the client, so it's not
really a substitute.

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "If I asked you where we were," said Arthur weakly, "would I
DKK D  regret it?"  Ford stood up.  "We're safe," he said.  "We are
DK KD  in a small galley cabin," said Ford,  in one of those
DDDD   spaceships of the Vogon Construction Fleet."  "Ah." said
       Arthur, "this is obviously some strange usage of the word
       _safe_ that I wasn't previously aware of."
                 Douglas Adams, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

-