Wireless ethernet?

I am not sure I share your view completely.  From a technical perspective,
you are absolutely right: it has been well known for a while that WEP has
severe vulnerabilities, and that they amount to near-total compromise.
For some discussion, see:

	http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/wep-faq.html

However, WEP is useful for keeping nosey people out of your network, or
preventing confusion between neighboring networks.  With an understanding
of its security vulnerabilities, I think it still has some use.

WEP does effective authentication in the sense that, if the underlying
cryptography were secure, then any participant in a WEP LAN would be at
least known to be a friend rather than a foe.  This is not the main
purpose of WEP and is really more of a side effect.

I brought up the WEP subject only as an example of incompatibility between
different models of wireless LAN hardware from the same manufacturer.
You were right to point out that WEP is now generally regarded as
insecure.  This is an especially nasty problem, really a cryptographer's
worst nightmare, because so many people now have investments in hardware
with a known vulnerability and they will likely keep using it forever.

-- Mike

-