AT&T cablemodem port blockage survey

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, John Chambers wrote:
> Maybe I'm being silly, but it occurs to me that it might be useful to
> point out that web servers run quite well on other ports than 80.

... and if everyone I knew was as technical as the least technical person
on this list, that would be a perfectly acceptable solution.  That is far
from the case though.  Even writing out http://thekramers.net:8080, it
would take my parents several tries to get it right.

The other issue, which was mentioned by someone on this list or another
(the same thread is happening on another list I'm on), was this is very
likely the camel's nose in the tent.  If they shut down 80 for the purpose
of catching all those hooligan hackers eating up all their precious
bandwidth, you know they're going to shut down 20 and 21 to kill ftp, and
then telnet (like I care), and finally, when they hire an MIT graduate in
the right position, ssh (EEEK!).

No, when they shut down port 80 on my connection, I will shut down my
contract with them.

---
DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  So if you want to build a Nerf world with no sharp edges,
DK KD  do it in Peoria.  I'm gonna go play with knives and
DDDD   flirt with redheads.                           Bob MacDowell

-