[BLU] Re: Wireless ethernet?

They are actually very correct.
When I set up the firewall at the BCS, I had to shut it down for a while
because of some problems with DNS. I took some heat over that, but I
maintained that we had the Resource Center inside the firewall which
was open to the public.
Once you open a portal on your system to a group of people you have no
control over, you are effectively compromised.
Note that MIT does have security and encryption in place on their
servers, so it's not that naive.

On 14 Aug 2001, at 11:21, David Kramer wrote:

> I interviewed for a position at MIT's Project Athena (essentially their
> intranet of computers around campus and in dorm rooms).  They told me
> there were no firewalls because all the hackers were on the inside.  I
> think that's a little naive, but it makes for a good joke.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org