System administration utility

Derek Atkins said:

> Why not just use RCS (or CVS)?  Then you also get revision control
> and change history, as well as file locking.

Oh, another (less compelling) reason is that RCS lets you "steal"
locks, whereas my utility doesn't.  RCS will ask you if you want to
steal a lock, making it all too easy to simply say "yes" to take
control of a file; but in order to circumvent the protection offered
by admedit, you actually need to manually remove the lock file.  This
is a bit more work, and (I think) enough of a deterrent to prevent
more people from doing it.  I believe a similar result can be
accomplished with RCS by using strict locking, but with admedit you
don't need to think about what kind of locks you want to use...

--
Derek Martin
Senior System Administrator

-