guerrilla.net?

John Chambers said:

> | This is correct...  Evidently @Stake/L0pht has sucked up (or not-so
> | secretly sponsored) guerrilla.net.  Unsurprising, given the history of
> | these guys.
>
> So what about these guys' history?  I don't recall having heard  much
> about them. I've seen their web site with all its security stuff, but
> I don't seem to find anything other than what I'd expect  at  such  a
> site.   Of  course, an organization's web site would tend to say what
> they want it to say, and  if  there's  any  "history",  you  wouldn't
> expect to find it there.

To get the "corporate P.C." line on their history, you can start here:

  http://www.atstake.com/events_news/index.html

Read the press releases from bottom to top.  But the gist of it is this:

@Stake is basically a hackers-go-legit operation.  Executive and
Investor types from Forrester Research, Cambridge Technology Partners,
and Compaq Establish @stake as a specialized Internet Security
Services firm.  Shortly thereafter, they realize they need some real
talent to make the company work, and they merge with L0pht Heavy
Industries, home of hackers that go by names such as Mudge and Dildog.

These guys are top dogs in the hacker/security community that came out
of MIT.  They're the dudes that bring you such tools as L0phtcrack for
cracking windows passwords, and AntiSniff for detecting sniffers on
your network, as well as a whole host of other interesting security
auditing tools (some of which have a somewhat questionable legitimate
use).  Dildog also is/was a member of Cult of the Dead Cow (cDc),
which brings us such wonderful tools as BackOrifice.

They represent the cream of the crop of the hacker community.  Besides
holding that large software companies such as Microsoft should be held
accountable for the crufty software they foist upon unsuspecting
computer users, they embrace the idea that information wants to be
free, and have done quite a bit of work to make it so, including
releasing quite a number of security advisories and technology white
papers.  The hacker community is very in tune with the idea that "The
free flow of private information is a REQUIREMENT of a free society."
--quoted from guerrilla.net.

--
Derek Martin
Senior System Administrator