Port forwarding revisited

The Nortel client is acceptable on wintel platforms, and well, uh, they
don't give a rat's ass about the other platforms (MAC client rumored).

I use the Nortel EAC v. 2.62 behind a Netgear RT314 with the VPN
passthrough.  The passthrough feature is pretty nice.  And it's so easy our
sales folks can use it!

I *believe* the trick is accomplished by creating a static NAT for the UDP
and TCP stuff as well as the IP types (50 and 51?).  This means 1:1 static
NAT - since you only have one global IP address, you can only run one VPN
client at a time behind the gate.  Low power consumption, low heat (it's hot
in my little dungeon), small form factor and VPN passthrough with an TCP/UDP
ACL firewall (sick as the syntax is) with a Natted port-forwarding feature
are probably why these things sell so well.

You'll be quite a hero if you can get a linux (anything really) box to do as
well.  Cost/benefit is clear, but you don't get to write your own
kernel/networking code :-)

Chuck Young
Internet Systems Engineer
E-Services Consulting