Re-learn C++ or Java?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> IMHO, you need to be able to get your resume from the HR people to the
> hiring managers and then get the interview. Over the years, I've been
> successful in getting contract jobs in both weak and strong markets.
> First, when creating your resume, in general terms make sure your skills
> are easily identifiable by HR people, which means buzz words.  The next
> area is to back up your skills by your employment and training history.
> Thirdly, be prepared to answer technical questions when interviewing and
> don't be afraid to tell them you don't know something. The key to getting a
> job is that you need to sell yourself and your resume is your marketing
> document. Don't advertise a skill that you don't have, but also don't be
> afraid to advertise a skill that you have but are not expert. Also, it is
> useful to customize your resume to fit the job. Use headhunters, but be
> careful when selecting them. Some are veryb sleazy. The headhunters can
> help to get you the interview.

When I was in college, I sold cars.  Some of my coworkers were career
car salesmen.  I have several interesting stories to tell, but one seems
apropos.

One morning, my buddy Don spied me reading the product literature we had
on the rack.  "Whats ya doing?" he asked.  "Learning about the cars we
sell."  I said.

Well, he didn't think that was such a bright idea, and here's why.  People
come to the car dealership more or less knowing what they want to buy.  If
they have any brains in their head, they will have either read some
consumer reports or done some comparison shopping.  If it's a question of
price, the same car will pretty much end up being the same price no matter
where you buy it.  Unless you're a dope.

I.E. - you're not trying to sell the CAR, you're trying to sell YOURSELF.
You want the person buying the car to buy the car from YOU.  Because they
LIKE you.

Of course I'm rather a simpleton, but I've always thought this was rather
wise.

In a world overpopulated by C++ programmers, for example, I think I'd
prefer to hire someone I LIKED.  Who I got along with.

In the morning when I went to work, instead of reading product literature,
we read the newspaper.  The weather.  The sports pages.  Anything to help
make for interesting small talk.

I'm not saying to ignore the real purpose of what you're after.  But do
what you can to ease the edges...

--

-Ron-
https://www.yellowbank.com/