Re-learn C++ or Java?

That's part of the formula. What you must do is to convince the person
interviewing you that you will fit into the group. My view tends to be
contract where many times we are called in because a project is behind
schedule.
As far as C++ programmer overpopulation. There are people who are VC++
programmers and there are real C++ programmers who know and understand the
fundamentals of programming, data structures (eg. can you write a good
class library). I look more at the depth of what a person knows rather than
how much code he or she has written.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group