he who hesitates has lost about a hundred bucks

A while back, I posted a question to this list on the problems I'd
been having with my new Philips PCRW-804 CD writer.  (Summary: It
doesn't write.  It doesn't read.  But it opens and closes that little
door real purty-like.)

I assembled some Web pages with diagnostic information, subscribed to
the cdwrite email list, and described my problem there.  The
diagnosis, from the fellow who maintains the software: Your hardware's
defective.

So, I think, the PCRW 800 series has been tested to work with
cdrecord, so it's probably just this individual drive that's not
working -- I'll just exchange it.  The only problem is, I had
procrastinated for so long before testing the damn thing out, I was
past Best Buy's deadline for exchanging the product.  But no problem,
I thought: it's still under warranty, so I'll just turn it in to the
manufacturer for an exchange.

Unfortunately, Philips wants to troubleshoot the system over the
phone, and since they don't officially support Linux, the only way I
can follow their troubleshooting procedures is to run it on a
Windows machine.  Which would probably also require finding the CD-ROM
containing Windows drivers that came with the drive.  Oh, yeah, and a
machine running Windows 95, 98, or NT -- our only Windows machine at
home runs Windows ME.

So my questions for the assembled multitude are:

(1) Wanna buy a cheap, slightly used, CD-RW?

(2) Wanna sell me a cheap mass-storage device that is guaranteed to
    work on Linux, *without* requiring SCSI or USB?

aaargh,
--
"Rav would never cross a bridge when an idolator was on it; he said, 'Maybe he
will be judged and I will be taken with him.'  Shmuel would only cross a