Laptop recommendations

A I mentioned before, I have a Compaq Pressario 1900LX161 running SuSE. No
dual boot. I was able to buy my laptop at the Compaq Factory outlet (with
an employee discount). I have not had any troubles with it. I use a Netgear
10/100 cardbus PC card. There is a builtin Lucent winmodem which works fine
also, Installed the ltmodem module I downloaded from Lucent.

The newer models have built in NICs. Tony Gabrielson was unable to get the
builtin NIC working on his 1700. The 1800 series has a different chip.
My Daughter and another friend have an 1800 with a 15" screen. I've not
heard of any problems with these. We have Compaq Armadas at work, and
several are running Linux.
Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a laptop.  I'm only interested in using it for
> Linux and maybe Solaris (i. e. I have no interest in dual booting into
> Redmond).  I want something with enough juice to let me do software
> development on Gimp-print (that is, RAM and screen space; disk space
> is a given, and my C-450 is plenty fast enough).  A writable CD for
> backup etc. would be nice.  I also want to keep the price reasonable.
> There seems to be a big gap in price between what Best Buy, Costco,
> and the like sell, and what IBM, EmperorLinux, and such sell, based on
> seemingly equal specs.  I don't much care about new vs. used;
> size/weight also doesn't matter too much to me, because I don't mind
> carrying around fairly large objects; 5 lb. wouldn't bother me.
> Certainly appearance doesn't matter.
>
> I'd prefer something that's comfortable running SuSE, since that's
> what I currently have on my desk, but that's not absolutely
> mandatory.
>
> Thoughts?
> --
> Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/
>
> Tall Clubs International  --  http://www.tall.org/ or 1-888-IM-TALL-2
> Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net
> Project lead for Gimp Print/stp --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net
>
> "Linux doesn't dictate how I work, I dictate how Linux works."
> --Eric Crampton
> -

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group