Laptop recommendations

> I don't care about gaming, movies, and such.  The price on that Dell
> actually sounds pretty good; I'll check it out.  Needless to say, I
> don't care about the software that comes with it.

Since the topic's come up, I figured I'd throw my experience in.  I bought a Dell Inspiron 8000 in June, and couldn't be more pleased with it.  I bought it fully decked out (at the time) with PIII-850, 196MB memory, 15" Super XGA, ATI 32MB video, DVD player, etc for $2000 even.  Literally, everything inside is supported in Linux out of the box (distribution depending, of course).  The video, sound, and onboard ethernet all work great (I would definitely recommend the 10/100 + 56k Mini-PCI device rather than a PCMCIA card), and even the onboard WinModem is the supported Lucent model.  The only complaint I've heard against it is the size and weight, but as I bought it for the purpose of being a mobile desktop and not for mobility in and of itself, I have no complaint with the 6.7 pounds.  Just my $0.02.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net

"LINUX is obsolete"
     - Andrew S. Tanenbaum, creator of Minix