Help! Linux won't boot and my nephew is coming for dinner!

Derek Martin wrote:

> >Bill Horne wrote:

> > I don't know how to get LILO to integrate the 2.2.14 and 2.2.16 versions.
>
> Boot from your floppy.  Then try:
>
>   # ln -sf System.map-2.2.16-3BOOT System.map
>   # /sbin/lilo
>
> This assumes that your kernel is actually vmlinuz-2.2.16-3BOOT, which
> seems likely based on the above.

I tried it: it produces the same result as when the symbolic link is set to the 2.2.14
system map:

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Merging with /boot/boot.b
First boot sector doesn't have a valid LILO signature

Thanks for the ideas.

Bill Horne

-