adding a user

I am sure I am root ( coz I have been able to install a couple of packages
like real player on the box ). Also the directory /home exists
It's true that I haven't installed the system myself but had I not been
root I wouldn't have been able to install the packages.
I tried adding user by using the KDE user managemnet tool ..inwhich case
it did allow me to add the user but did not create the /home/xyz
directory. When I looged in using this xyz id.....the screen blinked for
a few moments, recovered and again gave me the login screen.
It's really weird but then that's what happened.

--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job.

-