adding a user

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:30:04PM -0400, Manish Raj Sharma wrote:
> That could be a possible explanation because I am on  BU Linux (
> equivalent to RedHat 6.2) which is more of network oriented than a
> standalone machine. So does that mean that I have to go to the network
> administrator for adding a user on my machine? Isin't there an easier way
> out? I am kindaa new to this so a detailed and step by step procedure will
> be appreciated.

You can see if it's on NFS (I'm almost willing to guarantee it at this
point) by running the mount command:

    # mount
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    /dev/sda6 on /home type ext2 (rw)
    /dev/sda5 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
    /dev/sda8 on /usr/local type ext2 (rw)
    /dev/sda7 on /var type ext2 (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)

If your /home is on NFS, it will say something like:

    server:/path/to/home on /home type nfs (rw,other,mount,options)

If you want to create a local user, decide on a place to put their
home directory which is NOT on NFS, and specify that on the command
line to adduser, something like this:

    # adduser -d /usr/local/users/xyz xyz

> I really appreciate a lot for all the help. Atleast lets me diagnose!!

No problem.  =8^)

BTW, do you know Jesper Johansen?  I vaguely remember him talking
about BU Linux at a SANS conference I attended...