Political activism for Linux users/advocates

(Oops, I was supposed to send this to the list but accidentally just
sent it to the author...)

Jeffry Smith wrote:

> Some things I'll add about "Political Activism"
> 1.  Write / call your congresscritters - both House and Senate.  That's
> write as in snail-mail, not write as in e-mail.  Very important, because
> it means you cared enough to take time and write.  E-mails are too quick.

For extra benefit, hand write them. It's a personal touch, and it
greatly decreases the chances that it will be misconstrued as an
automated astroturf campaign.

Supposedly, many congress folks receive grass roots letters in
handwritten form. The most recent Microsoft astroturfing campaign
consisted of mostly mass-produced printed letters which immediately
raised a few congressional alarms of being bogus.

If you want to do this, it means two things. (1) Be concise. (2) Take
some time to make it particularly legible.

> 2.  Be polite.

I always despise the "Us" vs. "Them" attitude that seeks to demonize the
other side. In this case, it would be such <sarcasm> enormously
useful</sarcasm> terms like Big Government, Big Business, etc. This
would obviously be stupid considering your audience, and it clouds the
thinking process. You have to write in such a way that brings you and
the target together, not apart. If you know your Congressman leans a
certain way good for your cause, obviously, you should lean the same way.

> 3.  Remember, on most topics, they hear NOTHING from their constituents.
> The fact that someone takes time to write counts a lot.  The fact that a
> lot of people write counts for more.  They do know who votes (even if
> someone else pays the bill).

They're also busy, and they may not be the most tech-savvy in the world.
Real-world examples they can relate to would help immensely rather than
going too abstract into what constitutes freedom, facism, etc.

> 4.  Emphasize the problems with the bill in terms they understand.  For
> DMCA, I point out that, if the same law were applied to consumer safety,
> we'd send anyone who complained about the Firestone tires on their Ford
> vehicles to jail. For this new law, I'd say, it says "Ford and Firestone
> are required to build dangerous products. And, we'll jail anyone who
> complains, or points out the problems with the products.

See?

Steve

-