Wireless LAN 802.11 Firmware and Driver Development

Hi all,

I was thinking of working on the firmware and driver development of wireless lan to fully understand it's overall model and working.
However, I'm new to this and didn't know where exactly to start with. I've not written any firmware and driver before.
Could someone guide me by providing some useful information to the wireless lan model, and firmware and driver development for wireless lan?
Thank you.

Regards,