mozilla email problems

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:08:28AM -0500, Joel Gwynn wrote:
> I'm using Mozilla to check my email.  Call me a sucker, but I like to be
> able to check multiple pop accounts.  For a while I've been putting up
> with sluggish, erratic behaviour, but I'm getting to my limit.  Right

What version are you using?  The latest is 0.9.4, and the more recent
versions have been pretty good, at least for browsing.  I haven't
tried mail reading with it.  I use mutt for that.

> now, it won't even check my email.  When I start up the mail client, it
> connects, then says 'Receiving: message 1 of 414' (I'm on lots of
> lists), and just hangs forever, without downloading any messages.

If you haven't, you might try completely shutting down mozilla and
restarting it.  You may need to use something like

  $ killall mozilla-bin

in order to make sure they're all dead.  Older versions have a
tendency to want to hang around a lot.  Check the output of ps to make
sure there aren't any still lingering...