[BLU]

That's true. We should not cater to M$ clients, but there are many Linux
people who work in environments which mandate the use of a Windows
machine for email.
I use Pegasus at work because I dislike Outlook and Outlook express.
But, I was just looking at the filtering rules for Outlook 2000, and was
unable to find anywhere where I could filter on X_list-info or any other
header field other than from: to: cc: or subject:. When I was at Raytheon
I used Netscape on HP-UX, and I was unable to get it to filter on other
than the normally exposed fields eventhough its filter was implemented
as a script. I actually modified the script, and still did not get it to filter on
one of the unexposed header elements.
In the Unix and Linux arena we do have the capabilities to do more with
things like procmail or even home grown script.

And yes, placing the list name in a bcc is not good form. However, on
some other lists, some people send mail to many recipients including
the listserv (which is also bad form). I just tell them to use bcc. I hate
scrolling down 5 pages of addresses to see a 1 line message.

On 2 Oct 2001, at 11:29, mike ledoux wrote:

> That aside, it seems to me that a Linux & Unix user group should not
> necessarily cater to brain-dead Microsoft mail clients.  A wide
> variety of software is available that *can* easily filter on the
> Sender field, including several Windows clients (Eudora Pro, Pegasus,
> and Netscape Mail are three that I've seen this done with, I'm also
> told that Outlook97 can filter on any header field)[1].

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org