domain registrar(s)

> Like a sheep, when I originally registered my domain, I chose to do
> business with NetworkSolutions - now Verisign.
>
> I've been intending to change to another registrar, but I've basically
> been too lazy.  Lately however, I've been getting abused by spam from
> Verisign.  Stupid, because now I'm motivited to drop them ASAP.
>
> Any advice on alternate registrars?  I don't want to jump out of the
> frying pan and into the fire.

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for THE cheapest, I
can't really tell you where to go. If you care about things like a good
terms of use, great service, and good security, Gandi may be a good bet.

They are French and charge 12 Euros (~$9 I think). All of my domains are
registered with them and their service has been phenomenal.

The first point in their contract reads:
1 - The client ("SLD holder") owns the registered domain name ("SLD").
GANDI ("Registrar") simply acts on the client's behalf.

This is not something you find in the big domain reg companies and it
actually often reads close to 180 degrees of this (ie, we own it, you just
use it).

The discussion of registers regarding Debian, who AFAIK is still with NSI
pretty much pointed to gandi. There has also been talk of doing GPG
protected modifications to the record in the past too (although I haven't
seen it).

Read their FAQ, Contact, and other literature. It's a pretty convincing sell
and my experience with them backs up everything they claim

--
Mako Hill
mako at debian.org
http://people.debian.org/~mako/