pgp/gnupg

dan moylan wrote:

> John Abreau wrote:
> > I'm also curious how many of us actually use PGP or GnuPG.
>
> i for one have never had occasion to use either, and only vaguely
> understand what would occasion its necessity.

When I was about 8 years old, the girl up the street asked me if my
father was in a union. I told her he was. She asked me if he was a
communist. I told her I didn't know. She said that everyone in a union
is a communist, and asked if my father was one. I said "I guess so".

Two men in brown suits came to our house and asked my father if he was a
communist. I was amazed at how eager he was to please them and how
vehemently he denied it. He even showed them his Purple Heart.

> naive participant in blu discussions,
> dan moylan

In the immortal words of Bruce (Secrets and Lies) Schnier: "There are
two kinds of encryption. One will keep your wife from reading your
files, and the other will keep your government from reading your files."

I don't want my government reading my files: I don't have a Purple Heart
to show them.

Bill Horne

-