X resolution: display and set?

David Kramer wrote:

> I know there's the hotkey to change X resolution, but what I want to know
> is if there is a way to show the current resolution and color depth, and
> if there's a way to set it in a "here are the options, pick one" kind of
> way.

Assuming multiple resolutions are defined and working, ctrl-alt- plus and
minus
on the numeric keypad will cycle through them. This only affects the
physical
desktop size; the virtual display size can't be changed.

xdpyinfo will list a bunch of information about the virtual display,
including its size and the various supported depths. As for the physical
size, if it can be changed via hotkeys, then it can be changed via
software.
I'm not aware of any tools that do this, but I would imagine it shouldn't
be
all that hard to code one.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org