Wireless network

> Has anyone set up a wireless network?  I have a laptop that I'd like

Guilty.  It's been discussed a number of times.

Build something around IEEE 802.11b, most cards support it.  All of
the cards are PCMCIA or CardBus.

You can buy a separate basestation (I use the SMC Barricade Wireless
Cable/DSL Router).  This connects to your wired network and acts as a
gateway to your wireless nodes.  Here you pay for the basestation and
a card for as many simultaneous wireless nodes as you care to run.

802.11b can also be used in a "ad hoc" mode where multiple cards, in
the absense of a basestation, can create a network.  To configure this
you'd need a PCMCIA adapter card in your desktop machine and a
wireless card to go in it.  You'll also need a card for as many other
simultaneous wireless nodes you want to run.

I've run wireless with both RH6.2 and RH7.1.  In 6.2 there was a
little setup.  In 7.1 it worked right out of the box.

I'm using the Lucent Oronico (wavelan) cards.  We bought 2.  We also
have a powerbook with an AirPort card.  No worries.  We're not using
WEP.  All traffic *inside* the house goes via SSH.

HTH
ccb

-