[Boston.pm] Re: Guidance for a novice

One more thing I forgot. You might want to try perlmonks for advice &
support as you learn. It is a great community of perl programmers.
http://www.perlmonks.com/

At 07:37 PM 10/24/01 -0400, John Abreau wrote:

>Hi, Neelu. I'd recommend starting with the O'Reilly book "Learning Perl";
>that will give you an excellent start. O'Reilly's Unix books are the best,
>in my opinion.
>
>You might also find some help on our discussion list and/or on the Boston
>PerlMongers list. I've cc'ed both of them.
>
>On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Neelu Chawla wrote:
>
> > Hiya,
> >
> > My name is Neelu Chawla.  I'm a very very very
> > novice programmer looking to learn PERL.  Hope its
> > okay that I'm emailing you recognizing you're a member
> > of the Boston Linux/Unix group.
> >
> > Would you know of anyone who would have time to give
> > me an intro to perl so that I can gain some confidence
> > to continue learning on my own?
> >
> > I'm looking for a 1-2 hour tutorial.  In return, I'd
> > be happy to make a home-cooked indian meal or or treat
> > to a dinner out.
> >
> > The main categories of info I'd like to learn from
> > you:
> >
> > * Perl programming on a unix server vs. windows
> > * Working with scalar data
> > * Using lists and arrays
> > * Subroutines
> > * Hashes
> > * Regular expressions
> > * Working with simple databases
> >

> > Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you.
> >
> > Yours,
> > Neelu Chawla

> > http://personals.yahoo.com
> >

>- --
>- --
>John Abreau / Executive Director, Boston Linux & Unix
>ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
>Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org

Drew Taylor                     JA[P|m_p|SQL]H
http://www.drewtaylor.com/      Just Another Perl|mod_perl|SQL Hacker
mailto:drew at drewtaylor.com      *** God bless America! ***
ICQ: 135298242

-