filtered ports

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:40:40PM -0500, Matthew J. Brodeur wrote:
>    You didn't mention whether the nmap scan was from a local or remote
> machine.  If it was remote then your ISP could be blocking ports for you.
> I don't know of any currently blocking 22, but it's possible.  If that's
> the case, I'd complain LOUDLY.

My ISP, Galaxy DSL (gis.net), also seems to be blocking port 22.  The
support people seem quite willing to unblock it but can't figure out
where or how.  I am thinking that the CLEC (NAS) is doing the
blocking.  I would appreciate any advice on exactly what to suggest
for how to unblock it.  (And unblock everything.)

I know that to get the NATing DSL Pipe modem/router they control to
default all inbound ports to the internal IP of my server (not just a
badly limited list) I had to read the manual myself, fax gis.net the
page for exactly what needed to be done, and get them to tell NAS
exactly what to do.  The GIS support people said were grateful to know
how to do that.

I am thinking there must be a way to figure out the IP number of
exactly where the block happens and then track down who controls that
box.  But I haven't figured out how yet.

In the meantime, I am running my ssh on an unblocked port.

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who is reasonably pleased with his DSL in that is it up
mostly, lets him run servers, hasn't gone out of business, the CLEC
hasn't gone out of business, and is affordable.