Red Hat 7.2

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Brian J. Conway wrote:

> I haven't used 7.2 myself, but I can tell you that LILO was replaced with
> GRUB (LILO should be somewhere on the CD).  It's much more featureful than
> LILO and has none of the limitations that LILO has or had.  I'd suggest
> putting in the effort to learn GRUB, it's really an excellent bootloader,
> is filesystem-aware, allows on-the-fly entry editing, and features a
> commandline.  Look for a menu.lst file in /boot or /boot/grub for some of
> the basics.

The GNU GRUB webpage (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/) indicates that
GRUB isn't released publicly yet, but that you can get test releases via
CVS, or the alpha.gnu.org server.

Clearly, if Red Hat is making this the default bootloader for 7.2, GRUB
can be considered rather stable.  I hope.

Does anyone know more about the development status of GRUB?  I've always
wanted to try it, but I don't really have time for nosebleeds right now,
so I've shied away.  I just found out it was the default on 7.2 yesterday
while helping someone load up a new laptop.  I was a bit surprised.

--

-Ron-
https://www.yellowbank.com/