send this to your IT manager

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 06:21 pm, Derek D. Martin wrote:
> At some point hitherto, ReK2 hath spake thusly:
> > Well that is your Idea... but a good IT manager(not corporate brain wash
> > yet) will know that Linux/BSD scales better than any other ms windows OS
> > in the server side. and nothing can beat in cheap... and if you also have
> > a good system administrator.. that today lot of companys lack... they
> > will save lot of money, in support and in software... conclusion more
> > budget for nice hardware.
>
> Man I wish that were true.  Unfortunately, you can't define a good IT
> manager as someone who realizes that, in many cases,
> Linux/Unix/whatever is a better bet than a given Microsoft platform.
> Many, many IT managers have been successfully brainwashed by the
> Microsoft Propoganda Wave.  That doesn't necessarily make them bad IT
> managers, on the whole.

of course not... but I wont work for one like that :-) (thanks god I don't
need to anymore)

> If you had the time/resources, you'd want to bring in a test
> environment to model your planned production environment, and compare
> your available options based on price, performance, and a variety of
> other factors (not the least of which would include user acceptance).
> As much as we'd like it to be, just because something is the best
> TECHNICAL solution to a problem, doesn't always mean it's the best
> overall solution.  There are times when Microsoft does win.  Sometimes
> they win because there are no affordable alternatives to a specific
> application in the Unix world.  Sometimes its because the cost of
> training all your employees on something different is far more than
> the cost of implementing the other peices of the solution...

Microsoft ONLY wins were there have been microsoft infected servers...
if you are in a unix env your marketing department wont be used to those
exchange features... so when there is a NT around a department usually I
skeep that position and look for another company. an I always have had a job
in this last 11 years with unix only ENV.

> There are many points to consider.  Microsoft's strong point is in
> selling the customer that they are better on some/many/all of those
> points.  Whether it's true or not largely doesn't matter.  Just ask
> the BetaMax people...

Yes I remember that....

> In the long run, I do think that Linux will kill (or at least maim)
> Microsoft's OS business.  But it's going to take a while, largely just
> because there's no one out there actively promoting Linux as a
> solution.  Except maybe Red Hat.  But they've got a long way to go.

I think is already have been killing  that is why all this disscusion in the
first place.. cause a microsoft internal memo.
Linux wont be marketed... but is everywhere... even if is only like a small
router or webserver...

"the secret of knowladge is infinite" by rek2
"good, updated aplications and good administration! is the key to security
not one can live with out the other". by rek2