Solaris woes

	I'm trying to setup an IMAP server to use with the Squirrelmail webclient
on my Sparc 5 running Solaris 5.8.   I downloaded Courier imap 1.3.12
source as well as all the variety of prerequsite  packages, and immediately
ran into several issues. Being a solaris newbie, the first thing I've
realized is no path was defined on the system when it installed, so from
the command line a variety of things just DON'T work until I find them and
edit them into /etc/profile (i found .profiles too labor intensive and
redundant, at least at this point). GCC is installed and working, Libtools
are also present, I have gdbm as a database for the database support(?). I
found make, made sure it would would, and started my ./configure.  After a
few moments of "checking", ./configure came back with this error:

checking if wait function is broken... yes
configure: error: I give up -- neither wait nor wait3 works properly
configure: error: ./configure failed for waitlib

As I understand it, wait and wait3 are supposed to be built into -sh and/or
-bash? I'm not really sure where to go!I just wish I knew so much more.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,
Ryan L. Kitchen