Alternatives to Sendmail

There will be some clashes. I would probably advise Postfix since it has
better documentation.
You could probably make a few minor changes to the startup scripts to
eliminate any conflicts. Sendmail essentially uses sendmail.cf and postfix
uses its own configuration files. The only common file is /etc/aliases.