>    I'm putting together  mostly pieces form other machines and a few new
> pieces to build a new P2 400 box. It has a scsi 18 gig drive 256 memory, an
> ide cd-reader, and an IDE cd-writer, 2 10/100 cards,  sound card, video
> card... Nothing out of the ordinary.. when I go to build red-hat 7.1 off
> the CD.. it starts the boot and loads the aix-7xxx drives and just hangs...
> Any ideas...? I tried to load from the writer as well as the reader...

Some more information on exactly what you're trying is needed.  I can't tell
if you are trying to install Linux, or the installation worked and you can't
boot, or what.

The various distributions have better and worse performance for installs on
SCSI drives by release.  I've had some Mandrake installations go without a
hitch, and then have no end of trouble with subsequent releases.  Mandrake
usually posts work arounds on their web site - you should try checking out
the Red Hat web site as well.

You could bring your machine to the Installfest - I plan to be there, and
I've gotten my machine with a aic-7xxx board to work (but it's been
several months now, and I use Mandrake).