On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Robert P. Sarao wrote:

>     I'm putting together  mostly pieces form other machines and a few new
> pieces to build a new P2 400 box. It has a scsi 18 gig drive 256 memory, an
> ide cd-reader, and an IDE cd-writer, 2 10/100 cards,  sound card, video
> card... Nothing out of the ordinary.. when I go to build red-hat 7.1 off
> the CD.. it starts the boot and loads the aix-7xxx drives and just hangs...
> Any ideas...? I tried to load from the writer as well as the reader...

   This problem might just drive you insane.  The first place to check is:
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/gotchas/7.1/gotchas-71.html

   The third issue on the page covers this.  If your board has a 440GX
chipset you'll probably be able to use a new set of boot disks to make it
work.  Otherwise, read through the bugzilla reports for ideas.  I've run
into this problem several times and it seems that the solution is
different in each instance.

--
     -Matt

When in doubt, use brute force. -- Ken Thompson