New to Linux, help requested

fyi, Derek had asked me some pointed questions and recommended following up
to the list to clarify my situation.   ...Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek D. Martin [mailto:ddm at mclinux.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 6:34 AM
To: Karen Zgoda
Subject: Re: New to Linux, help requested

<<First, you don't say much about what it is you want to learn about
Linux, and why...  This mailing list is an excellent resource for all
kinds of information about Linux, ranging from the basics of how to
run it, to the nuts and bolts of how things really work.  Are you
interested in just learning to use Linux for certain types of
applications?  Are you interested in learning how to manage Linux
systems (i.e. become a system administrator)?  Are you looking to
learn how to develop software for Linux systems?  So many options...
I'd also suggest you say why you're interested in learning whatever it
is.  This will help guide those of us who might be willing to help you
out, to give you the information you need.>>

Hi Derek, thank you for responding.  My apologies for taking so long to
respond.  Why I want to learn Linux, briefly, is for philosophical reasons.
My primary background has been with windows os, with some experience on macs
and unix.  Psychology/Social Work background with some Computer Science
courses in college a few moons ago.  After previewing xp and reading up on
microsoft's perceived manifest destiny over all things electronic (the xbox
is a nice complement to xp in that sense), and starting to read Lessig's
writings, I am more than ready for an alternative os.  The current
administration and their antitrust farce settlement, quite frankly, scares
the hell out of me.  I do not want to see awesome technology innovation
turned into yet another portal for corporate, especially microsoft,
interests, similar to the fates of television and radio.  So that means I
have to put my money where my mouth is and learn new os.  I have been
reading a lot about Linux and open source and am ready to take the plunge
and learn skills to apply that knowledge.  I work for a network of community
technology centers, currently over 600 members across the country, and I
would like to educate them on the benefits of open source as well.  But
first I need to learn how to do the switch myself.  My hope is that this
does not come across as naive to a group of seasoned Linux experts but
rather as a good place to start for a novice wanting to help others in the
process.

At this point I am interested in learning how to use Linux for basic
applications, eventually branching into more nuts and bolts knowledge, and
speak intelligently about that knowledge to others who may need assistance.
Not interested in managing Linux systems at the administrator level but at
the end-user level.  Developing software sounds like fun but I do not know
the first thing involved.  I am glad that you wrote back and clarified just
what some of the options out there are.

<<Also, you don't mention where you are...  or whether you are willing
to work with people via e-mail, or if you specifically want someone to
work with you in person.  Or how much time you want to spend on
this...  These are also important factors.>>

Good questions.  I honestly wasn't sure what kind of response I would get
from my email, so I planned on working out details with someone who was
willing to help.  Live in Brighton, work in Cambridge.  I would like someone
to work with me in person, at least until I get a handle on how the os works
and feel comfortable solving minor glitches that may arise.  I would think
after that point email assistance, via online documentation and perhaps the
friendly folks from the BLU discussion list, would be appropriate.  Again, I
don't know, I haven't sat down to a Linux os before and don't know what sort
of learning curve I am up against.  Best to handle that in person, I am
thinking a tutor-mentee situation might be most effective.  Time-wise, I
will make time to learn and meet with someone, I have a few hours available
each week, and if near a t-stop even better as I am limited by public
transportation.

<<For starters, I might suggest you obtain a spare system to work with
(old, cheap hardware is generally sufficient, though lots of memory is
always good), and grab a copy of one of the more popular distros to
play with.  I personally use mostly Red Hat (not bad for beginners)
and Debian (not good at all for beginners), but I think Mandrake is
about the best distro there is for beginners.  >>

I have obtained an older laptop from work to take to the Installfest on
Saturday and I am excited about that.  The next challenge will be obtaining
a desktop/laptop for personal use at home, but one step at a time.  I was
disappointed when some pc makers abandoned their plans to create desktop pcs
with Linux installed and ready to go, I think that would have really helped
open up competition.  Perhaps the public needs to be educated more about
Linux and open source before that can happen but then I wonder if that is a
goal among the open source community.  I am trying to get a handle on the
community.  How do you differentiate among the three distributions you
mention aside from beginner use?

<<Then grab a copy of O'Reilly Assc. _Running_Linux_ and check out the
sections that interest you the most...  >>

Will do.  I hope this answers your questions.  I look forward to hearing
from you again and perhaps seeing you at the Installfest.

...Karen

Karen Zgoda
CTCNet, Project Coordinator

email ~ kzgoda at ctcnet.org