Running Web server on ATT BroadBand

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, will wrote:

> I'm in Waltham and we're running apache on Windows 2000 (it's my roommates
> computer, so I had no say in the OS), but there's no reason you couldn't
> run it on Linux.  They're not blocking any of the ports involved.
>
> I bound incoming 80 and 21,23,1024->1074 to his server on our router and
> everything works fine and we get decent throughput as well.
>
> Having said that, read your service contract and make sure you're not
> violating it because if they figure it out (i.e. if you run a pr0n site),
> they'll yank your service.  We're using our web/ftp thing mostly for our
> friends to move files around--it's not a public thing (security through
> obscurity--but whatever).  So we shouldn't be generating much traffic--not
> enough to show up on anyone's radar for a while (that's the theory).

It is against the current terms of service (TOS) agreement to run any kind
of server.  They been blocking port 80 on a case-by-case basis.  They also
have been removing the DNS entries for some users, so nobody can find your
machine except by IP address.

But if you haven't done it before, it should work till they catch you.
I've been doing it for almost three years.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D                     Shop smart!  Shop S-Mart
DK KD
DDDD