Can telnet port 80 but cannot ping!

When you're telnetting to port 80, you're simulating a web browser. Apache
is running so you get a response.

When you telnet to the default port, you're trying to login to the machine.
It sounds like you don't have the telnet daemon installed on your box. If
you're looking fo remote access, please look into SSH. It's easy to setup,
and infinitely more secure than telnet.

As for the ping, perhaps you're behind some sort of firewall?

HTH.
Drew