Running SSH (Secure Shell) service.

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 02:08:54PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> It should have been set up out of the box. It is nearly an automatic
> on SuSE. I also think that it comes with the Red Hat distro.

To turn it on for Redhat, as root, do:

  chkconfig sshd on

(This is a durable setting, on next boot sshd will start up again.)

And then, as you again, try connecting to yourself:

  ssh 127.0.0.1

Try connecting from an outside machine.

I have problems with the ssh port being blocked someplace, so am
running sshd on a non-standard port, and edited /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd
to do that.

-kb