DV under linux

I've been editing digital video with iMovie under MacOSX, which has worked
fine except for the slow speed of the machine. To generate a one-hour mpeg
file takes a couple of days on the Mac. It's faster to dump the edited
movie back to the camcorder and then burn a video cd and extract the mpeg
stream from that, even when the vcd recorder starts acting up and ruins
a couple of blanks before recording a good disk.

I recently tried getting my firewire card working in my linux box again,
and
I finally succeeded after installing the 2.4.16 kernel. I tried out dvgrab
and kino, and both work great. Kino is great for simple cut-and-paste
video editing, but it lacks any special effects or titling functions.
Also, it still takes 4 to 5 hours to render an mpeg file from a one-hour
DV stream using mjpegtools. This is on a 1.2GHz Athlon.

Is anyone else here doing anything with digital video on Linux? If so,
what tools do you use? I know there are commercial editors with five-digit
price tags that get great reviews, but how about some decent open-source
tools for the basics, like simple titles and rudimentary special effects?

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org