Activating on-motherboard (integrated) sound in Linux

I've got onboard sound on my computer (ABIT vt6x4),
running the via82cxxx module, along with sound and
souncore, all straight out of my RedHat 7.2 install.
Works ok, but at the beginning of each sound (mp3 or
otherwise) there is the annoying static crackel.

Anyone have any thoughts about this>

thanks.

=====
I'd be proud to be an American, if America would stop giving me reasons to be ashamed.

Kindly yours,
Billy S G McCarthy