From: Brian J. Conway [mailto:bconway at WPI.EDU]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 2:37 AM
To: Numberwhun *****
Cc: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: Broadband Shuffle

> My coworker also has Starband.  We have been playing with the Sparc
machine
> running Solaris 8 from work.  Today we were able to get his website
visible
> from the internet.  Starband blocks port 80 so we used a different
port.
> Works like a champ.  He likes it and says it is MUCH better than
dialup even
> though it is a little pricey.  (About $750 for the equipment then
about $60
> a month.).

How is latency?  That's the one complaint I always hear against
satellite.
I know a few people with it, one of whom I believe uses Starband, and he
can never get better than 500 ms ping times to anything a hop or two
away.
Download speeds are great, though from what I hear, just don't try an
ssh
session unless you're patient. =)

-b