IPv6 as module or in kernel

Hi all,

I would like to make some modifications to the ipv6 stack in linux kernel 2.4.17.
As I'll need to do frequent testing and compiling, it's recommended to compile as a module as it's faster, isn't it?
Do I check the m for the "ipv6 protocol" and "ipv6 netfilter configuration", and then run "make modules" and place the ipv6.o file in the /lib/2.4.17/net/ipv6 directory?
When I run "insmod ipv6", ipv6 is loaded and my interfaces are assigned link-local ip addresses.
However, when I run "lsmod", it shows ipv6 used by -1. Why did it show -1? I can't execute "rmmod ipv6" as it says "ipv6: Device or resource busy". What should I do to unload the module?
Thank you.

Vriz