web hosting ... again :-(

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 linuxguy at ici.net wrote:

> This seems to be a reoccurring thread...
>
> My ISP was recently sold/bought and my rates for hosting linuxsoup.com
> just went through the roof.  Any good hosting services to recommend?

I'm working on building a website for my temple.  We checked out a bunch
and selected http://www.ochosting.com/

> I've thought about going with static IP DSL service and just run the
> server out of my basement.  Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

I am absolutely blown away with the quality of service, speed of
connections and DNS, and cluefulness of support at speakeasy.net DSL.
They are more expensive than some (the plan I'm on is $59/mo for 608/1228,
2 IP addresses, unlimited dialup, 24/7 support that knows stuff...), but
for me it's worth it.  If you add the cost of your current connectivity at
home to the cost of web hosting, you probably come close to that anyway.

If you go DSL at home, you can do anything you want with your website, and
you get faster personal connectivity for using the internet yourself.  The
only downside is you have to admin the box itself, but I've heard you know
a little about that linux stuff  ;)  And of course the initial cash
outlay.

PS: Not that I would want you to get it if it wasn't the right decision
for you, but I can get a small referral kickback if you join and mention
me.  But I am so happy with it I'm recommending them to everyone who asks.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D
DK KD