including anchor (#) with cgi parameters?

I remember having this problem when working on the international sites at
Ingram.  As I recall, the specifications for things state that the # is
not "part of the url" but rather a "fragment" and has to go at the
very end.  So a correct url would be:

   http://www.me.com/cgi-bin/script.cgi?param=2#place

The RFC in question might be this one--I know it covers URLs, but I don't
recall if there's a more recent RFC that takes precedence:

   http://www.w3.org/Addressing/rfc1808.txt

I don't recall whether we got this to work.  We were using JSPs under
ServletExec and IE 5.0/5.5 on Win32 platforms.  I do know that we had
differing results with different browsers and wouldn't be surprised if
different browser/platform/version/patch-level combinations affected
whether the #place is handled or not.

Hope that helps--

/will